The first Post Office was called the Mossy River Post Office (later changed to Mossey River in 1916). It was situated outside of the Winnipegosis town site on 10-31-18w from May, 1896-October, 1898 when it was relocated into a town site and renamed Winnipegosis Post Office.
Early post masters were Emil Hartman, Martin Collisson, W. M. Ketcheson, John Shell Sieffert, Katherine Lytwyn, John Hilliard Turner, Allen Hunter, and Myrtle Flett.
In 1949 local council requested Parliament to erect a post office and it was built in 1959. However, a cash register wasn’t provided until 2000!
It was a stroll down memory lane to read the names of the part time assistants: Betty Morris, Phyllis Kristjanson, Leona Chartrand, Lillian Lytwyn, Lena Fleming, Marilyn Katchur, Evelyn Streyko, Janice Cumberland, Shelly Thompson, Caroline Matkowski, and Ruth Wright.
Rural Route Contractors: Oli Walterson, Pete Korman, Mac Slobodzian, Rose Slobodzian, and Virginia Paskal.
The first post office in Fork River opened October 1, 1897 under the name “Minnokin” with Thomas N. Briggs as the first Postmaster. Because the railway siding was named Fork River the post office name was changed to Fork River on November 1, 1899.
In 1914 the post office was moved to the home of the King’s. Postmasters then were William King, Aubrey King and Margaret King from 1915 to 1964 in the King’s home next to Stasko’s store.
In 1964 Public Works Canada built a new post office next to the King’s home. After Mrs. King’s retirement in 1968, Steve Solomon became postmaster. Hope Toporowski became postmistress in 1976 and remains to the present time.
There was also a post office in Oak Brae general store run by Walter and Anne Sliworsky￼ from 1963-1987.
Mr. John Shaker was the postmaster in the village of Ukraina from 1919-1959.
Today there are still two post offices in the Mossey River Municipality, Fork River and Winnipegosis.
Thanks to Myrtle Flett and Hope Toporowski for recording this information in the Rural Municipality of Mossey River history book, “Memoirs From the Past”. These books are still for sale at the Municipal office and at the Winnipegosis Museum.