In 1897, with the railway extending to Winnipegosis the potential harvesting of the bountiful forests for lumber was recognized by Peter McArthur, a lumberman from Westbourne, MB area. He established “The Standard Lumber Co.” and erected a saw and planning mill. The logs used in the manufacture of the lumber taken from Mr. McArthur’s timber limits, and were towed here in rafts by his team tug Iona and Isabelle from up lake points . Mills were also established at Big Island, channel Island, Graves point, Pelican Bay, and Long Point.
The McArthur mill operated in Winnipegosis for 30 years. Other sawmills operating in the area over the years starting around 1900 were Archie Stewart, Basil Marchenski, Bickel brothers, Jim Wright, Jim Fleming, John Stefanson, James Parker, Mike Stefanson, Cecil Patterson, D.D. Penner, George Rodrigue , Delroy Grenon , Fred Bilenduke, Winnipegosis Box and Mill Works, Lake Winnipegosis Development Corp. and Camperville Development Corp. and Nordevco Associates Ltd.