It began in 1897 when a group of Icelanders settled in the town of Winnipegosis from various localities. In 1899, a group from Pembina added to the population and by 1900 there were about 100 people here. At first they settled in the town of Winnipegosis. In 1900 the population shifted to Red Deer Point (Township 35, Range 18 West of the Principal Meridian) about 26 miles north of the town.
Red Deer Point is a point of land 40 miles long and 4 miles wide at its widest point, indented by bays and good landing places and harbours.
Most settlers were satisfied with their lot. The scythe was the only tool for making hay. The grass was so tall it reached to a man’s shoulders.
The year 1900 will be long remembered because of flooding of the lake. The event taught the Icelanders they had built there houses to close to the lake, so many of them moved the houses back from the lake.
There were 37 Icelandic families living on the point in 1903. After that, they began to decrease. Some point dwellers went to the water section of Saskatchewan. By 1907 most people had either moved back to Winnipegosis or had gone to the Saskatchewan settlements. In most cases, everyone who lived on this point of land has done well.
From Finnbogi Hjalmarson, “The Icelanders in Winnipegosis.”
(Translated by Vera Stevenson)